Hi,

found a solution!

Installed m2r and converted .md to rst.

.. image:: uploads/c10162322847cfeefdfbad3f966d4358/image.png
   :target: uploads/c10162322847cfeefdfbad3f966d4358/image.png
   :alt: image

Doesn't work because of :target: if I remove that line - it works :)

No python guy, though. But the code is here:
https://github.com/miyakogi/m2r
I just have to remove the line with the target.

There's a bunch of other stuff that doesn't work in markdown via sphinx -
like markdown todos. Or gitlab markdown mermaid.
Will probably create a issue there - but now I can live with my quickfix.