I have been using my own documentation system for years and am writing a
program to convert sphinx so that it is easier for others to edit my
documentation, and so that I no longer have to maintain it (It was written
years ago in C).  In this system one has a title and an abbreviated title
for each section (web page) and the abbreviated titles are used for
navigation.

Here is an example use of my documentation system:
https://bradbell.github.io/dismod_at/doc/data_table.py.htm

I am asking how to best reproduce this navigation functionality in sphinx ?