Hi Yuji,

That's strange. I believe Sphinx should output the same result both
`make html` and `make latexpdf`. I guess something are cached on your
environment.
Could you try `make clean` before building docs?

As a trial, I made a simple project including a substitution. And I
succeeded to build "substituted" document.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA