Hi, I also recently encountered this problem, yesterday.
I think it's caused by this feature introduced in 4.0:

   -

   #7784: i18n: The alt text for image is translated by default (without
   gettext_additional_targets

<https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/configuration.html#confval-gettext_additional_targets>
    setting)

I guess that an image without any 'alt text' uses the substitution
reference. Which then ends up in the .po files

As a workaround, I have added an empty ':alt:'  option to each image
directive in the rst file.  It's some work, but I found the strings are not
longer present in the po/pot files.
Example

.. |grid-manual-actions-action-trigger| image:: some_image.png
   :alt:

One could debate if the current behavior is a defect  (from my point of
view, I'd say that