> The outstanding issue is: how could we name this
> role? Sadly, ``:var:`` is already taken in the C and
> C++ domains. ``:meta:`` is conceivable, but ``.. meta::``
> is a standard docutils directive, so it might be
> confusing. I'm a bit out of ideas ... ``:placeholder:``
> maybe?

If we're talking about a role for marking  a variable or formal parameter
name, :var:`*varname*` would be the right thing.  But that's not what I'd
call metasyntactic.

If we're talking about something that really is metasyntactic, I'd be
inclined to use something like :metavar:`*metavarname*`; it's pretty
clear.  But it probably belongs outside a domain, unless we want a domain
for meta-conceptual bits:  :meta:var:`*metavarname*`.

  -Fred