Hi All,
On Thursday 10 October 2013 07:57 AM, Trent Piepho wrote:
>>   Mark>  I'm not convinced that this is the most useful API, it sounds like
>> the
>>   Mark>  hardware can "memory map" the entire flash chip so the whole SPI
>>   Mark>  framework seems like overhead.
>>
>>   Mark>  It also seems seems like it's going to involve the CPU being
>>   Mark>  stalled waiting for reads to complete instead of asking the SPI
>>   Mark>  controller to DMA the data to RAM and allowing the CPU to get on
>>   Mark>  with other things - replacing the explicit transmission of
>>   Mark>  commands with memory to memory DMAs might be advantageous but
>>   Mark>  replacing DMA with memcpy() would need numbers to show that it
>>   Mark>  was a win.
>>
>> Indeed. I can see how such a feature could be useful in E.G. a lowlevel
>> bootloader (because of simplicity), but am less convinced about it in
>> Linux where we could conceivable do something else useful while waiting
>> on the spi controller.
> I've found that the SPI layer adds rather a lot of overhead to SPI
> transactions.  It appears to come mostly from using another thread to
> run the queue.  A fast SPI message of a few dozen bytes ends up having
> more overhead from the SPI layer than the time it takes the driver to
> do the actual transfer.
>
> So memory mapped mode via some kind of SPI hack seems like a bad
> design.  All the SPI layer overhead and you don't get DMA.  Memory
> mapped SPI could be a win, but I think you'd need to do it at the MTD
> layer with a mapping driver that could read the mmapped SPI flash
> directly.
Yes, you are correct in all your comments above. I also feel that SPI
framework
should be bypassed. But the subject patch is derived based on the
following points/limitation:

1. There is a setup register in QSPI, that need to be filled, as of now
I am filling it
     in my driver as a MACRO.
2. Controller repsonds to memory mapped read for read opcodes, so during the
read path we should tell the controller to switch to memory mapped port.

[Trent]: With mapping driver, I believe you are hinting at
drivers/mtd/maps? I had
a look at it and what I got is that it is used/suitable for parallel
flashes and not the
serial flashes.

All in all, Just at the beginning of the read api, I could have done
memory mapped read and bypass
the spi framework. But, prior to that above 1, 2 point need to be
executed and that need to be
communicated to controller driver.