----- "Attila Sukosd" <attila.suk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Attila Sukosd" <attila.suk...@gmail.com>
> To: spice-de...@freedesktop.org
> Sent: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:53:45 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
> Subject: Re: [Spice-devel] spice BSD/OSX client
>

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Attila Sukosd < attila.suk...@gmail.com >
> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Gerd Hoffmann < kra...@redhat.com > wrote:

Hi,

Also, the kqueue implementation in OS X 10.6 seem to have been broken,
> so I went with your suggestion and reimplemented the event handler using
> select(). One thing I noticed though was that the epoll implementation
> watched the fds for both read and write (add_to_poll()), but since it is
> edge triggered, it only fires once per change, but my select()
> implementation is level triggered, which meant it would never block and
> use up 100% CPU (for example monitoring a File fd, it always triggers).
> After playing a bit around with it, i decided to drop watching write for
> fds all together, and the client seem to work fine. Is there a need to
> check it or am I safe with monitoring only reads?
>
> It isn't save. When you got -EAGAIN from a write() or send() syscall because
> the output pipe is full you have to watch for the socket becoming writable so
> you can flush out the bits you havn't sent yet.
>
> As far I know there is no bulk data going from client to server, so if you
> are working on a fast LAN it is quite possible that you never hit the "output
> pipe full" case and the client works fine for you.

Now on to the audio, I have been implementing audio using CoreAudio
> Framework for OS X (another idea could be OpenAL which is also
> cross-platform?), which pulls in a lot of extra headers, including
> MacTypes.h which unfortunately defines a "Rect" and "Point" struct which
> causes issues with the definitions inside common/draw.h. I can hack
> around it, but its not very nice, or I could rename the ones in spice,
> but that would break any compatibility with my patches to the current
> upstream code.
>
> What code base you are working on? In the unstable tree the structs have been
> renamed to SpiceRect and SpicePoint exactly to avoid name clashes like this.
> Also the headers have been splitted away into a spice-protocol package.
>
> A few days ago Alex landed the marshaller bits in the unstable tree and the
> spice client can handle both 0.4 and unstable spice protocols now. So you can
> jump to the unstable code base even if you need the client play nicely with
> 0.4 spice servers. This will also make it easier to merge your patches
> upstream.
>
> HTH,
> Gerd
>
> Hi Gerd,
>
> Thanks for the fast reply! Sounds good! Yes, right now I've been working on
> version 0.4, but since the unstable tree is now backwards compatible, I will
> move on to that.
>
> Rgrds,
>
> Attila.
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I thought I'll post an update on the Mac client. I have it up and running
> using the latest sources from the git dev. Event handler is doing select(),
> playback and recording is done with PortAudio, R and B re-swapped for
> peer_major == 1, and CEGUI is disabled since it caused a LOT of issues...
>
> So now I'm only facing a few minor issues/things I've noticed:
>
> 1. Video playback seem to stop after a few seconds, but if the window is
> moved around or scrolled the video playback resumes again for a few seconds.
> I've tried it with VLC, windows media player and flash video players
> (youtube). Also, sometimes only the center square gets updated but not the
> rest. It is not very consistent as sometimes the video plays back fine..
>
> 2. Bandwidth usage seemed to have increased, with the v0.4 client ive been
> seeing 1-2MB/s for full screen HD video playback, while with the current one
> I've been seeing peeks of 8-9MB/s on a 100mbit network
>
> 3. We didn't receive (as far as I'm aware) the linux firefox plugin for the
> client with our RH beta package, and Im not sure where to find it? I've ended
> up creating a launcher script, associated that with spice:// protocol in
> firefox and modified the javascript on the management machine to redirect to
> a spice:// address in case the plugin wasn't found. Not sure if this is the
> best way of doing it?

Attila,
The Red Hat package shipped to customers is here
https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/packages/details/Overview.do?pid=533006
If you don't have access please ping me off list.

thanks for your work on this.
Aic