On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 11:07:57AM -0800, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Scientific Linux 6.2 x64
> host: kvm
> guest: XP-Pro x32
> spice 0.8.x
>
> I give up.  I have Googl'ed my fingers off on this one.  How
> do I install the virtio serial device in my guest with virt-manager?
>
> I see serial devices to add, but what type and what is the
> path to the device?  Am I even looking at the right serial devices?

The serial device should appear in other devices (along with the cpus)
in device manager. There is a link for a driver on the dowload page of
spice:

 http://spice-space.org/download.html

 under "Windows binaries:", current link is
 http://spice-space.org/download/binaries/virtio-serial_20110725.zip
 which looks relatively recent.

 I don't remember the upstream location for the drivers, I'll try to
 find it and update, but I think those should be good, let me know if
 they aren't.

Note that this is not the serial device you should also have in the vm,
i.e. COM1, but a different device.

Alon