On 02/13/2012 10:47 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
For both LAN (high bandwidth, high performance) and WAN (high latency)
perhaps it may be worthwhile to increase (via socket options) the TCP
receive (on the client) and send (on the server) buffers for the display
channel? It will cause:
- bigger TCP window (which is good for both cases above)
- some waste of memory (negligible, I think it's enough to increase to
256K or so for each).

Hi,
I've started investigating it a bit, but from spice network captures I didn't see that the window size is a limiting factor. In all of the scenarios I saw, the windows was big enough during all the session . I don't recall many cases in which the available window size was close to zero. Still, I didn't completed testing this and we do plan to add options to configure the window size and test how it affects different scenarios.

I suspect it might make a difference especially in video streaming.

btw, I've started to work on moving the video to udp.

It's a simple patch (I hope - via setsockopt() ) and does not require
feature negotiation, but I'm not sure I have the tools to test such change.

Thoughts?
Y.