I've never seen a starter shim for a Spitfire, and I don't think there
could be a need for one.

Some engines mount the starter with nuts and bolts, not studs or
threaded holes.  These types of mounts are inherently sloppy.  With
these, you do use shims to properly space the starter motor in
relationship to the flywheel.

The Spitfire has its starter mounted in a much more precise manner,
eliminating the need for shims.

The big spacer you've got is to ensure the starter gear engages the
ring gear on the flywheel.  Without the spacer, the starter gear would
overshoot the ring gear.  Triumph could have had a custom starter made
for the Spitfire and not bothered with the spacer, but that would be
expensive.  Using one starter motor and various spacers to allow it to
fit different engines saves money.

>>> "Jeff McNeal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/07/02 11:26AM >>>
Hello all.  I've got a rebuilt starter installed with an aluminum
spacer
that's roughly .5" thick (just eyeballing it) between the starter and
the rear
engine plate.  I've seen references in catalogs made to starter
"shims".  My
question is this:  Is there a difference between the starter spacer
that I
have installed and the starter shims?  If I have a spacer, do I need
the shim
as well?  I'd like to find the answer to this question before I turn
the key
on this car for the first time!  Thanks in advance.

///  [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list
///  Send admin requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
///  Send list postings to [EMAIL PROTECTED]