In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>you write:

>From: Rick Reineman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Triumph 1500 Catalitic Converter caused fire
>
>Just picked up a 1978 Spitfire that the previous owner had put headers
>on.  That moved the catalytic converter farther down the pipe just under
>the transmission cover (it's a California car).  The factory solution
>was to put the Cat right under the exhaust manifold.
>
>problem.  My question for the list is if there is some sort of
>commercial solution available?  Or are there lessons learned out there
>(besides don't live in Calif.) that will save me from learning them the
>hard way myself.  The flaming Spitfire was a lesson I could have lived
>without.
>
>I had intended to take it to a local muffler shop and talk to them about
>heat shields, better muffler etc.  Thought I'd give the newsgroup a shot
>first though.  Thanks in advance for replies.

Hi Rick, sounds like a heat shield will solve your problem.  I guess that
kind of heat build up is not a problem when the car is moving.  I am
forward this message to the Spitfire list because many Spit owners have
replaced their stock manifold with a header and someone might have ran
into the same problem as you.

PS:I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your set up since I'm also thinking
   of putting in a Cat. coverter onto my 78 Spit since it did not come
   with one when I bought it.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |