Just to prove the hustle & bustle of the holidays affects me in different ways, 99% of the day was spent on automotive-related issues.
First off, this '05 MINI Cooper S is so much fun to play with. The paddle shifters and me screwing it up makes me feel like Jeremy Clarkson. To show my appreciaction to the dealership, I gave it a good 'ol fashioned hand-washing. Mind you, lighting in the garage is not so great, so all the spots I missed showed up when I took it outside to clean the floor. Okay, good news, I got that bearing end cap off. A little tap on the shaft with a block of wood & hammer, and some wiggling and it was off. After some fidgeting, the thrust washers were out. Getting 2 of them out, looking at some horror stories seems to be a good thing, ie I had 2 to take out, not any missing. Man does oil have some amazing cohesive properties. The big end bearing shell(still need to measure it) snaps right into the cap amazingly well. Like magnetics. Anyways, I got the thrust washers out and decided to call it a day. Then I thought, what the heck, did some more painting of the ragtop(this ragtop skeleton's gonna be beautiful), and measured with the digital caliper. .092 inches for the front & rear. Brand new(standard size) ones: .092 inches. Ugh. I did all this thrust washer work for nuttin'. Oh well, peace of mind I guess. Still need to check out the piston conrod shells. The question I bring to the forum: With feeler gauges, how would one mesure the crankshaft endfloat? I've read descriptions, but I think I need a picture here on where to stick the feeler guages. I only have feelers , not that fancy thing with the magnetic base. I assume checking conrod side clearence is as easy as sticking a feeler between the cap & crankshaft(?). Ah fun fun fun. Your messages not reaching the list? Check out http://www.team.net/posting.html === This list supported in part by The Vintage Triumph Register === http://www.vtr.org === Help keep Team.Net on the air === http://www.team.net/donate.html === unsubscribe/change address requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or try === http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool === Other lists available at === http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo === Archives at http://www.team.net/archive === http://www.team.net/the-local === Edit your replies!
