On 24 Oct 2009, sch...@yahoo.com wrote:

--- On Sat, 10/24/09, David Evans <ev...@cs.virginia.edu> wrote:

>> A better design would just use the parser as a front end to produce
>> an intermediate representation which would be used for all the
>> analysis, but the actually implementation intertwines the parsing
>> and analysis much more than it should.

For an IR, are you saying something like GENERIC?

> Is this the approach being taken by ggcc?

> http://ggcc.info/

> Perhaps an splint plugin to their frame work would be the way to go?

Looking, this seems to be a global static analysis attempt.  This is
similar to Coverity Prevent, Polyspace verifier, etc.  These use
global analysis to determine thing that splint would determine through
annotations.  As the program determines them, there is no need to
annotate, but they take significantly longer to run.  I think these
are significantly different?

GCC has a plug-in framework in 4.5 and better.

 http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Plugins.html
 http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/plugins-branch

However, comments (and hence splint annotations) would be discarded by
the lexer.  I don't believe that a plugin would have access to these
(?).  An alternative is to use the 'attribute' syntax to describe
preconditions, postconditions and other criteria.

I think that a splint plug-in for gcc would be more likely, but I am
not so sure that it can't be a stand-alone program.

fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.

--
I find this continuous feedback and interplay between pure mathematics
and theoretical physics most fascinating. - Marco