L.A. had a bunch of these voice machines when they were still relatively
rare and otherwise used mostly by movie theaters.  Another famous one had
been around so long that it was called VERMONT from the former letter
prefix, and indeed that's what you dialed to get it.  You got a cheerful
voice saying, "Hello, you have dialed VERMONT at 10760 Rose," followed by a
joke.  10760 Rose was and is a large apartment building in West L.A..

There was another one called Ben.  Just Ben.  I have long since forgotten
the number.  He was always very happy.  Almost disgustingly so.

By then the only letter exchange was the Catholic Archdiocese downtown,
TRinity, and the only thing on it was Dial-A-Prayer, TR 4361.  Didn't even
have a number in the prefix.  That's old.

The only thing I remember on ZZZZZZ was some soft music and a parody of that
old commercial, "This moment of softness is brought to you by ZZZ, ZZZ!"

The one that was really popular with phone phreaks, though, was a General
Telephone internal number that did nothing but run a loop, "Five cents,
bing.  Ten cents, bing bing.  Twenty-five cents, bong."  (Insert appropriate
ancient pay phone bell noises.)  A test line they'd never bothered to turn
off?  General still had a few stepping offices and it was phone phreak
heaven.

-hugh