My theory was that it was some sort of government experiment of a new
digital transmission mode. I wasn't able to record any of it but the
transmissions included an 800 ms data burst of some sort.

In support of this idea, several radio amateurs filed complaints with
the FCC because one of the frequencies used was in a ham band. The FCC
took no action. And some people DF'ed the signals to be possibly from
a government owned site in the desert near Albuquerque, NM.

Guess we'll never know for sure. It hasn't returned to the airwaves since then.

73, Zack W9SZ