No (grid) power company in North America uses 50Hz and for that reason I
have a hard time believing that a transmitter in North America would use
a 50Hz generator.
When I was still living in Holland, we had several 60Hz power generators
since they originally came from the US army, but the reverse would be
strange. So my guess would be that the 50 Hz hum transmitter would come
from outside North America.
Rene - VE6WCA