Yahoo accounts seem to be particularly vulnerable. My understanding of
what happens is this: Someone logs into his Yahoo account and Yahoo
places a cookie on his computer. He gets done reading his e-mail or
groups or whatever but doesn't log out of his account. It doesn't
matter if he closes his browser window or his browser or not. As long
as he didn't log out, someone can get into his computer and steal the
cookie that Yahoo placed there. This person now has access to his
account and hijacks it.

If the real account owner enters his account again and then logs out,
the person who had access via the cookie no longer has it unless they
changed the password. They never had the old password in the first
place, so this is a little more difficult to do. Most accounts require
you to enter your old password in order to change it.

So yes, change passwords often but log out when you're done with your accounts.

Zack