Hello Gian,
I'm a complete newcomer and this is only conjecture, so please keep my
comments in proper context:
Let's say I was a person who these transmissions were intended for.  I
would likely have a timetable of sorts with frequencies of when these
transmissions would occur.  At the appropriate time I would tune my
radio and listen:
- If I heard nothing at all, I may think that something prevented me
from receiving the broadcast i.e. faulty equipment or conditions poor
for reception.
- If on the other hand if I heard the broadcast, but it indicated that
there was no messages I would be clear on that.
Of course this could all be subterfuge and the presence or absence of
messages could mean nothing at all.. simply a means of keeping
everyone guessing.
73, John