Hi Justin,
What part of the country are you in? If you are subject to numerous nearby
strikes, some caution may be in order.
Typically, a very short wire antenna such as yours that is probably no more
than 20' above the ground will not be prone to lightning strikes unless as
mentioned, you live in an area with frequent electrical storms such as parts of
Florida. If you wind up expanding your array in the future, lightning
protection may be called for.
As a precaution, in the event of a nearby thunderstorm, you most definitely
will want to disconnect your antenna from your radio and move the connector
away from anything that may ground. Just remember, lightning will generally
take the path of least resistance so don't afford it the opportunity. And,
lightning can strike from clouds as far as 20 miles distant.
I'm not sure of your exact antenna design. As further protection, you may wish
to have the end attached to the tree connected to the tree via an insulator. In
other words, tie a dacron cord to the tree, attach a plastic or ceramic
insulator to the cord, connect your wire antenna to the other end of the
insulator. If you have one of the roll up type antennas that come with some
shortwaves, you may be able to just tie another dacron cord to the insulator
and then clip the antenna to that.
Anyway, hope this is of some help.

Joe
N6JPG