I think it's unlikely that the Russians have installed a transmitter at
Lourdes, since it is a listening post and they wouldn't want a high powered
transmitter there.  It wouldn't be out of the question if they installed a
transmitter elsewhere in order to support the Lourdes mission, though, as a
possible backup to send data back to Moscow.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 1:54 AM, ✇ KC2TTK <kc2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this list
>
> This has got to be the biggest blob of pure speculation I've ever put
> down in writing, so feel free to dismiss it in its entirety.
>
> For a while now I've wanted to hear HM01 on 9330 KHz at 06:00 UTC on a
> Tuesday or Thursday.  As you can guess, I didn't.  But seeing as how I
> wasn't able to find HM01 in any of the familiar places, I kept my ears
> open to the 9.3MHz range.  And it may have paid off.
>
> Somewhere around 06:07 I heard a string of numbers in Russian ("...tri
> admin vosim nul"?) on 9332 KHz - just close enough to now-silent 9330
> KHz.  About three minutes later (06:10) I heard a continuous tone on
> 9331 KHz suggesting a carrier.  A few moments after that there began a
> 10-minute-long transmission that, to my untrained ear, sounded like
> RTTY.
>
> Now, at this point my brain starts going haywire: I'm expecting
> Spanish, I've heard Russian, there's RTTY, and in the back of my mind
> there's some recollection of Russia talking about reopening a
> transmitter in Cuba.  After the better part of an hour searching
> through the mailing list, N&Os, E2Ks, and Priyom, I finally hit on it:
> "Lourdes Base: Cuba, Russia Agree to Reopen Spy Post, Source Says"
> <
> http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/lourdes-base-cuba-reopen/2014/07/16/id/583136
> >

> All throughout the search for "Lourdes" I kept an ear open in the 9.3
> MHz range.  And, sure enough, I heard something that... well, I can't
> quite describe it: it was an organized series of pulses lasting about
> a second and running for two minutes.  The pulses had a constance and
> static-like quality to them, which suggest data transmission - not a
> burst of power which fades in potency.  I don't know what a diplomatic
> communiqué would sound like, but I suspect that's what I might have
> heard.
>
> Anyway, after digesting all these facts and observations (and washing
> it down with a cup of coffee) I began to think that maybe HM01's
> Tu/Th/Sa 9330 KHz transmission might not be as dead as we think it is.
> Perhaps (and it's a big "perhaps") what I heard was a
> Russian-reactivated Lourdes Base test on seemingly-dead 9330?
>
> Like I said, pure speculation; feel free to dismiss it.  But, still... :-/
>
>  - KC2TTK

Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS