That is how they do it - they "spoof" and email address, make it look
like the owner of a particular email address has in fact sent the email
address. Far easier and far more common that "hacking into" someones
email account. Getting a hold of someones or some businesses email
contact list can provide many (many) valid emails to use for these
nefarious purposes.

I always found it a bit funny when these sorts of emails start appearing
and the first thing someone suggests is that "someones email account
has got hacked".

Spoofing or forging email has been around a very long time, tools to
detect such forged emails is getting better but there always seems to be
some new wrinkle which allows them to fall through the cracks.  Service
providers use blacklists of servers which are known as sources for such
crap, email sent from one of those servers regardless of the address is
simply ignored.

cheers, Graham