General comments,

Given that we are talking about technology for the future of the Internet,
it would be good to consider requirements of Internet traffic.

LFA for Internet?  With smart apps, CDNs, intelligent clients?  What?

We need to move to IPV6, we are.  Are You?

We need to do it very efficiently and enable innovation and TTM with low
risk.
Scale is obviously an issue.  I want to enable more bandwith!
Raw bandwidth to someone offnet really drives the tradeoffs for an
Internet provider, move to V6 only.  Now!
Flexibility in what we can do internally is a big value add, V6 SR.
Because V6 is how we offer services to our customers, new mandate.

Commercial Intranet traffic (VPN) is high value, but really noise as far
as volume.  Do we build a future IP architecture on this?

Channeling PeterL, the cheapest way to build a SONET network is to build a
SONET network.  Or something like that, I think we can do better butŠ
Apologize for a mis quote.  Peter can address with me.

Given we build INTERNET infrastructure for <100% capacity at peak, for
single link, single site, single fiber bundle failures.  And then we pad
it for growth.
With Overcapacity of 50%ish.  You have to love 50% CAGR per year on
traffic, you are never wrong.

Some of this optimization stuff is inertsesting (sp?), that is not how we
build networks on this side.

Everything for us is IPV6, not interested in forcing us to have to tunnel
it all in MPLS.
I¹m not even happy with Ethernet.  SONET gone, Ethernet?, Big Fat V6 Pipe
go.

John Leddy