From: spring [mailto:spring-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Les Ginsberg
(ginsberg)
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 18:19
To: DECRAENE Bruno IMT/OLN
Cc: spring@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spring] draft-ietf-spring-conflict-resolution

Bruno -

From: bruno.decra...@orange.com<mailto:bruno.decra...@orange.com>
[mailto:bruno.decra...@orange.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:22 AM
To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)
Cc: spring@ietf.org<mailto:spring@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-spring-conflict-resolution

Hi Les,

IINM, I've not seen the follow up on one of my below questions.
So let me restate a comment:

The SR-MPLS SID conflicts algo requires that all nodes consider the same
mapping advertisements.
How is this ensured, if it indifferently considers advertisements from all
protocols, while some nodes could participate only in a subset of the
protocols? e.g. OSPF only routers would consider a different set of information
compared to OSPF+IS-IS routers.

[Les:] If you run multiple protocol instances (whether multiple instances of
the same protocol or instances of different protocols) then you need to insure
that at least one of the two conditions below is true:

·         All routers receive the equivalent set of advertisements

·         There are no conflicts :)

One way of insuring the first point is to exclusively use a mapping server to
advertise SIDs, configure your SRMS entries in a protocol independent manner,
and insure that the SRMS advertisements are sent in all of the protocol
instance specific sub-domains.

If the intent is to deliberately use different labels in the forwarding plane
for the same destination depending upon which protocol advertised the prefix,
this introduces a number of new requirements - not the least of which is
duplicate entries for the same prefix in the forwarding plane.  As has been
discussed publicly in a different thread, there are cases (e.g. merging two
networks) were such a requirement may exist - but it is the exception rather
than the rule and as it consumes more resources in the forwarding plane and
introduces implementation complexity independent of conflict resolution it is
not the primary case the draft focuses on. Nevertheless, this is a case which
the draft will address in the next revision. We stopped short of that in this
revision because we felt there were enough substantive changes and points on
which consensus is still a work in progress that it would not be the optimal
way forward.

Thinking more about this, I guess that this is only important for the entries
which are inserted in the forwarding plane. Hence, in case of conflict between
protocols, I think that the preference algorithm should take into account the
protocol preference (aka administrative distance).

[Les:] As admin distance is neither an attribute of SRMS entries nor guaranteed
to be consistent on all routers for all prefixes this is not a desirable
approach.

I'm also not sure to see why is the problem different compared to
Multi-Topology. Could you please elaborate?
[Les:] I am unclear what your question is. Are you asking why we need different
SIDs in different topologies? Please clarify.

    Les

Thanks,
Bruno