Hello Bruno,

thanks for the detailed reply and apology for my late response.

First, let me re-phrase what I propose. Realized that I never explained
exactly what I had in mind and using the "ignore" keyword was just a bad idea
too. Will avoid "ignore" as this keyword has been used in different ways
already.

So what I propose is: if a prefix has conflicting mapping information -
prefix or SID conflict - then keep this prefix unlabeled. [1]

I don't see that draft-ietf-spring-conflict-resolution is exactly covering
this idea.

Then:

> But I'm not sure that you are really calling for the network operator to
> have this flexibility.

I actually do expect requests from network operators to implement their
specific view on how to operate the network into the conflict algorithm. The
protocol design should allow for it.

But there are also network operators who prefer to keep the network
relatively "dumb" and implement their operational logic into their OSS
systems. I don't see why vendors would want to impose the more complex logic
on customers not asking or not wanting it. Which is why I argue against the
idea to make the preference algorithm "the" standard.

(yes, "simple" or "dumb" allows for interpretation. I'm sure you get the
point though)

Saying all this, of course we should support the request from Orange and
others for the preference algorithm. We do have the "algorithm" field, e.g.
draft-ietf-isis-segment-routing-extensions, that could carry the
SPF+conflict+... algorithm required.

There was also a misunderstanding about my "solving a problem that should be
rare" statement. I said it with a qualifier "with the quoted rule above" and
the rule was

   "Local configuration conflicts can be prevented before they are advertised"

If implementations check for a conflict between what they want to advertise
and what is already advertised by others in the network then we filter out
conflicts from config change that is happening after a time window of e.g.
several seconds since the last SR config change in the network. Not saying
this is a fool-proof algorithm but it puts a perspective on the problem.

> Basically, what I propose is to keep it safe, and not introduce new risks

sorry but I disagree. I cannot name customers but there are network operators
who consider code complexity that they don't need a risk.

To summarize: I see your point for the preference algorithm but I disagree
that this should be "the" standard behaviour of Segment Routing
implementations. Rather we should allow for different algorithm. To have
basic interoperability I propose the algorithm [1] above as a starting point.
Other algorithm can be defined within IETF if network operators are
interested in - we obviously have one algorithm with interest already :-)

Best regards,
Marc

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:08:24 +0000, bruno.decra...@orange.com wrote:
> [...]
> down the whole network or a significant part of it.
>
> Indeed, in risk analysis, probability of occurrence is one important point
> to consider. But consequences/cost is another important point to consider.
> And in the old telco world, some level of consequences may not be
> considered acceptable. e.g. there is usually a limit defined for the number
> of people which may be affected by a single failure. When this limit is
> reached, another equipment is deployed to service those additional people,
> even though the first equipment had enough capacity.
>
>> Basically what I propose is to keep it simple.
>
> Hum... "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
> Now the problem is to draw the line. (and that's not simple)
> And there are multiple metrics to consider. Implementation (simplicity) is
> one, network operation (simplicity) is another one. And I would note that
> the number of networks is significantly higher than the number of
> implementations so it may be advantageous to prefer the network operation
> metric over the implementation metric.
>
> Basically, what I propose is to keep it safe, and not introduce new risks,
> especially with massive consequences, compared to existing signaling
> solutions (e.g. LDP or RSVP-TE) which may be seen as a show stopper for
> some person (before or after the failure, depending on their anticipations).
>
>> At least start simple. _If_
>> network operators find during operation that the basic
>> don't-advertise/ignore
>> rule is insufficient then we can still increase the complexity of the
>> conflict handling procedure (and add a config knob to select the new
>> procedure).
>
> I believe that we are in the process of getting network operator feedback.
>
> Regards,
> Bruno
>

>> Regards, Marc
>>

>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:36:01 +0000, bruno.decra...@orange.com wrote:
>>> Hi Les, all
>>>
>>> As an individual contributor.
>>>
>>> As a network operator, I have a slight preference for the older preference
>>> rule, and more specifically for the following preference rule:
>>> 1) PFX source wins over SRMS source
>>> 2) Between redundant SRMS, operator defined preference (aka weight)
>>>
>>> Note however, that for me, this is a lighter preference compared to the
>>> choice of the policy. Besides, my above preference assumes that the policy
>>> "Per FEC/Ignore overlap only" be selected. If "Quarantine" were selected,
>>> would have a strong preference for the revised preference rule (Larger
>>> range wins) in order to limit the consequences on the network
>>> availability.
>>>
>>> Regarding 1,
>>> I would assume that before the conflicting advertisement, the network was
>>> running fine. i.e. conflict entries is not the nominal behavior in the
>>> network, and conflict are detected and reported to the network operator
>>> correction. (e.g. via the yang model, syslog, error message on the