Hi All,

The following things in the drafts referenced in the subject line are questions
that I feel need to be addressed - since having gone through these drafts
closely in light of some of the comments on the spring list and cross
referenced and checked a number of things - there are a number of things that
significantly concern me.

Firstly - in section 3 of the network programming draft an attempt is made to
define SID syntax and semantics.  Now, when cross referenced with section 2 of
the draft, it states "SID: A segment identifier which represents a specific
segment in the segment routing domain.  The SID type used in this document is
IPv6 address (also referenced as SRv6 Segment or SRv6 SID)"
The semantics specified in the network programming draft state that the high
order bits are a locator, the next bits are a function, and the next bits are
arguments to a function.  (Page 6 paragraph 6, "We represent an SRv6 SID as
LOC:FUNC where LOC (locator) is the L most significant bits and FUNCT
(function) is the 128-L last significant bits.
This is quite clearly a re-definition of the IPv6 address semantics as
specified in RFC4291, which that's that IPv6 addresses are 128-bit identifiers
for interfaces and sets of interfaces (Section 2 of RFC4291)
Section 2.5 of the RFC4291 also states that IPv6 unicast addresses are
aggregable with prefixes of arbitrary bit-length.  Aggregation of semantics
specified in the network programming draft does not seem possible.  This also
has relevance when we consider that SID's are indeed addresses, and we find
this in draft-ietf-6man-segment-routing-header in section 4.2

Then we move to section 4.13 and 4.14 of the network programming draft, which
define the END.B6-INSERT and the END.B6.INSERT.RED  SID types.  These types
cause transit nodes to insert SRH's.  They are explicit in their statement that
they can insert a second SRH in a packet that already  has an SRH.  This
conflicts with RFC8200 section 4 which states that extension headers, except
for hop-hop-hop option headers, are not processed, inserted or deleted by any
node along a packet's delivery path, until the packet reaches the node.
Further to this, sections 4.21.1 and 4.21.2, when referencing PSP and USP
flavors of the END, END.X and END.T functions all cause transit nodes to pop
the top most SRH, which again, conflicts with RFC8200 Section 4.
Further to this, section 5.2 and 5.3, which define the T.INSERT and
T.INSERT.RED behaviors will cause transit nodes to insert SRH's - again - in
conflict with RFC8200 Section 4.

Then, the following questions are things I would like to see addressed as
concerns the uSID draft.

Firstly, I feel that this draft again redefines the IPv6 address semantics in
ways that are very far removed from what is defined in RFC4291, and that is
concerning.
Secondly, I do not understand how
draft-filsfils-spring-net-pgm-extension-srv6-usid is compatible with the
network programming draft.  Due to the semantics of the addressing specified in
the network programming draft, the moment you start shifting an address in the
way this draft specifies, you start to effectively break the locator/function
semantics - and as such, programmability is only really possible at the end
nodes.  Now, the argument has been put forward that you can retain the full SID
stack while still shifting the address in the uSID approach - however, my
question then becomes, if you do this to retain compatibility with the network
programming draft, do you not lose any point in actually having uSID at all -
since it was designed to address overhead, and the overhead has just returned
again.

I really feel that these things need to be addressed - because while I
understand that there are things which are mandatory, and things which are
optional and in the spirit of a draft,  and while I feel that if something
isn't specified as mandatory but is clearly in the spirit, there may be
occasions where something may be deviated from, what I see here is an entire
redefinition of the address semantics, and multiple conflicts with segments of
RFC8200 - in a consistent and what I consider to be an egregious manner.

I look forward to hearing responses

Thanks

Andrew