From: spring [mailto:spring-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Robert Raszuk
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:46 AM
To: Adrian Farrel <adr...@olddog.co.uk>
Cc: James Guichard <james.n.guich...@futurewei.com>; SPRING WG
<spring@ietf.org>; spring-cha...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spring] WG Adoption Call for draft-dong-spring-sr-for-enhanced-vpn

Hi Adrian,

Just to make sure my point was correctly understood ... I am not questioning if
either data plane or control plane resource reservations should or should not
be done for SR.

What I am questioning is that the draft says:

   When
   compared with RSVP-TE [RFC3209], SR currently does not have the
   capability to reserve network resources or identify different sets of
   network resources reserved for different customers and/or services.

The crux of the matter is that RFC3209 DOES NOT reserve anything in the data
plane of any network element while this spec clearly intends to. RSVP-TE keeps
all reservations in control plane counters only. Constrained based path
computation/selection happens based on those control plane information. (Yes
nearly 20 years after this feature shipped I am still meeting people who
believe otherwise :).

So to start I recommend we remove any reference to RSVP-TE as this is purely
not applicable to what this document is trying to accomplish.

I admit I did not follow all the recent advancements in TEAS nor in DETNET as
far as actually reserving data plane resources in data plane for some traffic
types. If authors want to build a solution with that - by all means green light
and full speed ahead - market will decided - especially when it will really
understand the cost :) But let's make sure the document is crystal clear on
what building blocks it is talking about.

Best,
R.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 11:20 PM Adrian Farrel