Hi Francois, Chengli & authors

Many Thanks for your feedback to the WG on the critical topic
interoperability of the uSID micro-sid 16 bit uSID   “NF=Locator/Function
combo”  128 bit container based solution and the G-SRV6 32 bit G-SID
“NF=Locator/Function combo” 4 - 32 bit G-SID in 128 bit container based
solution defined as Next and Replace flavors in the draft.

I am really concerned as to how the next and replace interoperability would
work for adjacent nodes using SID within same or adjacent container.

Section 6.1 mentions that  Next flavor recommendation is for 16 bit as the
uSID draft & this draft NF as 16 bit is most optimal uSID size within the
uSID container and Replace flavor recommendation is for 16 bit as the
G-SRV6 draft & this draft NF as 32 bit G-SID is most optimal G-SID size
within the G-SID container.

Please  elaborate on this in more detail, as with this draft for next and
replace interoperability, following the SRv6 compression requirements for
optimal hardware forwarding and state efficiency that Next would be
recommended to use 16 bit SID and Replace would be recommended 32 bit SID.
  Please elaborate in detail as to why 16 bit is not recommended for
replace flavor and 32 bit is not recommended for next flavor for all of the
requirements drafts list of SRv6 compression requirements each one by one
and the problems encountered when not using the recommended SID length.

Thus for next and replace flavor interoperability even possible  to work
would require two different SID sizes within the same container
interoperability caveats and now you have to deal with uSID container style
using 16 bit SID and G-SID container style using 32 bit SID.

>From the requirements draft,  interoperability perspective, the primary
objective is “encapsulation header compression” as that is what we have
spent over a year on with DT finding an optimal compression solution.  So
here the lowest common denominator ends up being 32 bit SID and we now have
failed the primary objective of a compression solution.

As far as lowest common denominator is it true that in order to meet all
the requirements draft list of all SRv6 compression requirements both next
and replace have to revert to that lowest common denominator which is 32
bit SID.  If that is true, unfortunately that makes the draft fail the
primary objective of any SRv6 compression solution.

To that end as far as interoperability on Next and Replace interoperability
being the hinge pin of this drafts adoption, as well even if the authors
state that Replace can use 16 bit SID as a possibility, as the 32 bit “NF”
G-SID is recommended for hardware forwarding efficiency and scalability
that if 16 bit were used G-SID would fail the hardware forwarding
efficiency and scalability requirements as well as possibly other
requirements which should also be stated in the draft.

6.1
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-filsfilscheng-spring-srv6-srh-compression-02#section-6.1>.
C-SID Length

   The NEXT-C-SID flavor supports both 16- and 32-bit C-SID lengths.  A
   C-SID length of 16-bit is recommended.

   The REPLACE-C-SID flavor supports both 16- and 32-bit C-SID lengths.
   A C-SID length of 32-bit is recommended.

The draft should mention the recommendation for common block length for
interoperability.  The only block size possible is 48 bit so block size so
that would be a major addressing inflexibility for interoperability.

6.2
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-filsfilscheng-spring-srv6-srh-compression-02#section-6.2>.
Block Length

   The recommended SRv6 SID block sizes for the NEXT-C-SID flavor are
   16, 32 or 48 bits.  The smaller the block, the higher the compression
   efficiency.

   The recommended SRv6 SID block size for the REPLACE-C-SID flavor can
   be 48, 56, 64, 72 or 80 bits, depending on the needs of the operator.

Taking this further another step as this draft needs to describe in detail
with examples of the feasibility of how two adjacent nodes one using next
16 bit SID and other using replace 32 bit SID as recommended where the 16
bit uSID next flavor and 32 bit G-SID are in the same SRH 128 bit container.

As the uSID Next flavor draft performs a shift towards B towards nibble A,
B nibbles, and Replace does a replace of the A-Arg portion  of the 128 bit
IPv6 address, how would that work with adjacent nodes using different SID
flavors of different SID lengths.

The Next flavor uSID SRv6 PGM  compression solution process is very
different where when indexing the micro sid nibbles within the 128 bit
container, it performs a shift towards the top lower order bits of the IPv6
address, where the Replace flavor G-SRv6 PGM compression solution indexing
the 4 G-SIDs within the container does a Replace at the A-Arg bottom higher
order bits.

The referencing of the 16 uSID or 32  bit G-SID  nibbles, indexing and
reference of which nibble to referenced for next and replace for directly
adjacent nodes with nibbles within the same 128 bit container or adjacent
containers is the interoperability issue that seems to exist.

This needs to be clarified on the next snd replace interoperability
operation in detail.

Also Replace flavor uses COC delimiter for signaling compression function
is active where Next does not have any signaling of compression being
active or not or may have a different way of signaling that upcoming node
does not support compression.

How does the compression signaling interoperability work between Next and
Replace flavors.  That should be addressed as well in the draft.

Kind Regards

Gyan
Verizon Inc