On Mar 28, 2023, at 11:24, Adrian Farrel <adr...@olddog.co.uk> wrote:

> [Spring cc’ed because, well, you know, SR. I wonder whether 6man and 6ops
> should care as well.]

SPRING cc’ed because, you know, replying to Adrian’s email.  Agree that 6man
and 6ops [sh|w]ould be interested.

> tl;dr
> I think this is a good initiative and worth discussion. Thanks
> for the draft.

Agree.  In particular:
1. There is an acknowledged security problem. Might be worth summarizing, as it
is central to this draft, but an example is in rfc 8402/section 8. Section 3 of
this draft (“The SRv6 Security Problem”) doesn’t actually describe the security
problem; Section 5 does, briefly.

2. The solution (using a new EtherType, SRv6-ET) is a good one.  It’s sad that
this wasn’t done from the get-go, as the solution is a bit “evil bit”-ish.  I’d
prefer to see ALL SRv6 packets (i.e., those containing SRH) use SRv6-ET.
Boundary routers SHOULD drop packets with SRv6-ET that cross the boundary in
either direction; all routers MUST drop packets with SRH that don’t have
SRv6-ET. Yeah, difficult, but the added security is worth it.

3. Ease of secure deployment is a major consideration; this draft is a big step
in that direction.

4. As Adrian said, several nits.  Will send separately to authors.

Kireeti