Speaking as an individual contributor.

I may be misreading this.  It looks like the first draft depends upon a definition of a valid or invalid segment list, but does not provide a definition for that.  It looks like the second draft provides a precise definition for an invalid segment list.   Do the author's of the first draft envision some other definition of an invalid segment list?  If so, what?  If not, doesn't that result in close coupling between the two drafts?

Yours,

Joel