On Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 10:14 AM Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> For starter let's take a look at RFC1958 ..
>
> Entire document is pretty good including statements like this:
>
> The basic argument is that, as a first principle, certain required end-to-end
> functions can only be performed correctly by the end-systems themselves.

Robert,

RFC1958 does not mention the checksum nor any normative protocol
requirements. And if we're going to base the argument on principles,
then I'll quote the robustness principle: "Be conservative in what you
send". For the past thirty years the checksum has always been sent to
be correct on the wire unless there's a routing header, so changing
that behavior would be a violation of the robustness principle.

Tom

Tom