Hi Loa

Thank you! Noted!

Hooman

-----Original Message-----
From: Loa Andersson <l...@pi.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2024 8:34 AM
To: Alvaro Retana <aretana.i...@gmail.com>; Michael McBride
<michael.mcbr...@futurewei.com>; Hooman Bidgoli (Nokia)
<hooman.bidg...@nokia.com>; p...@ietf.org
Cc: spring@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spring] Re: [pim] Re: wglc: draft-ietf-pim-p2mp-policy-ping

CAUTION: This is an external email. Please be very careful when clicking links
or opening attachments. See the URL nok.it/ext for additional information.

Alvaro and Hooman,

The text itself looks fine, but RFC 4379 has been obsoleted for more than seven
years, the correct reference is RFC 8029.

/Loa

Den 2024-07-10 kl. 12:59, skrev Alvaro Retana:

> Much better — thanks!
>
> On July 9, 2024 at 10:23:40 PM, Hooman Bidgoli (Nokia)
> (hooman.bidg...@nokia.com) wrote:
>
>> Hi Alvaro
>>
>> How the below text to address your comment?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Hooman
>>

>> "RFC 6425 scope is fault detection and isolation for P2MP MPLS LSPs.
>> RFC 6425 extends the techniques described in [RFC4379] such that they
>> may be applied to P2MP MPLS LSPs. RFC 6425 stresses the reuse of
>> existing LSP ping mechanisms used for P2P LSPs, and applies them to
>> P2MP MPLS LSPs in order to simplify implementation and network
>> operation.
>> The RFC 6425 procedures for fault detection of a P2MP MPLS LSP are
>> common for all P2MP MPLS protocol types including P2MP RSVP-TE and
>> Multicast LDP and now P2MP SR Policy. There are minor differences
>> pointed out in RFC 6425 with regards to P2MP RSVP-TE and Multicast
>> LDP which this draft will specifically address for SR P2MP Policy,
>> these minor differences are as follow:
>> 1. Including Egress Address P2MP Responder Sub-TLVs which can not be
>> included for Multicast LDP as per section 3.2.1 of RFC 6425. In
>> Multicast LDP, there is no way for upstream LSRs to know the identity
>> of the downstream leaf nodes. This is also true for P2MP LSPs of P2MP
>> SR Policy as most transit routers are programmed via a PCE and have
>> no knowledge of the leaf nodes. The only node that might have
>> knowledge of the leaf nodes is the Root where the P2MP SR Policy is
>> programmed. Hence these sub-TLVs SHOULD BE used with an echo request
>> carrying a P2MP Policy MPLS Candidate Path FEC.
>> 2. End of Processing for Traceroutes, for Multicast LDP LSPs, the
>> initiating LSR might not always know about all the egress nodes
>> unlike P2MP RSVP-TE. For P2MP SR Policy the Root of the tree can be
>> aware of the all the egress nodes in the case of PCC initiate P2MP SR
>> Policy and optionally it "MIGHT" be aware of the all the egress nodes
>> if the P2MP SR Policy is PCE initiated. There for P2MP SR Policy
>> should follow the recommendation of section 4.3.1 of RFC 6425
>> depending on if the root is aware of the all the egress nodes or not.
>> As an example for PCC initiate P2MP SR Policy the root can learn the
>> identities of egress nodes via the Next Generation MVPN procedures
>> and BGP as per RFC 6514, but with PCE initiated P2MP SR Policy the
>> egress nodes "MIGHT" not be downloaded to root by the PCE, as this is
>> optional and implementation specific.
>> 3. Another major difference between P2MP RSVP-TE and Multicast LDP in
>> RFC 6425 is section 3.1 for identifying the LSP under test. Each
>> protocol has its own identifier. This draft defines a new Target FEC
>> Stack TLV for P2MP SR Policy to identify the its CPs and PIs.
>>
>> Beside the major differences explained above the P2MP SR Policy
>> should follow RFC 6425 common procedures for P2MP MPLS LSPs."

Loa Andersson
Senior MPLS Expert
Bronze Dragon Consulting
l...@pi.nu