From: bruno.decra...@orange.com <bruno.decra...@orange.com>
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2024 18:02
To: SPRING WG
Subject: [spring] draft-ietf-spring-resource-aware-segments

Hi authors, WG.

As you expressed beliefs that the document is ready for WGLC and asked for
WGLC, I’ve been suggested to look again at this draft.
Please find below some initial comments. (more are expected in subsequent
iterations)

  1.  Overall document

§1 “Introduction” is clear. Thank you.

Then, at high level, this standard track document “describes the mechanism” but
I find it a little light on the specification side. IOW, in -09 I’m not seeing
a specification which can be implemented on different vendors in an
interoperable way. I’m not even clear on what’s the global effect would be in a
network.
I think that the document will need to progress on this before starting a WGLC
(not to mention considering asking publication). So I’ll update the wiki to
reflect this.

Note that essentially, I believe that Robert expressed a similar same point a
while back [1] but this has not resulted in change in the draft.

( Intention is to credit Robert for this review, not to put word in his mouth.)

> > [Jie] This document defines the resource-aware SID mechanism and the data
> > plane behavior

> [Robert] Well honestly I am afraid it does not.

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spring/yxX4KDDT2Mc2ZrL1CzLdY9-PRqk/

  1.  SRv6 prefix SID
Let’s take the example of the SRv6 Prefix SID (“End” Endpoint behavior).

2.a) My understanding is that you are not defining nor modifying the SR
Endpoint behavior “End” as defined in RFC 8986.
Is that a correct understanding?
If so, no change on SR Segment Endpoint Node.
If not, please provide the specification of the change to the “End” Endpoint
behavior. E.g.,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cheng-spring-srv6-policy-resource-gurantee-03#section-2

2.b) Then assuming something is changed, the (specification) change would be on
Transit Nodes.
Is that a correct understanding?
If so, please specify the change that would apply on those forwarding nodes.

Such Transit Nodes are doing regular IPv6 forwarding as per RFC 8754.
So would that be a change for SRv6/SPRING or for IPv6/6MAN?

2.c) My understand is that the change would apply to the way the LOC prefix is
forwarded. Hence nothing specific to each (more specific) SID using this LOC.
Is that a correct understanding?
If so, the term “resource-aware-segments” seems misleading as there would be
nothing specific to a segment (e.g. no resource specific to a segment). Given
that the association of resource to the segment is the key part of this
document, as per the title and abstract, that’s something that needs to be
clarified.
If not, and the resource is indeed per segment, I think it would be good for
the document to discuss scaling considerations for QoS queues. Especially with
VoQ hardware architectures

2.d) What is precisely the resource associated to the Segment, and how is this
useful to build a service in the network?
As per the Introduction, you seem to be willing to fill a gap with RSVP-TE. But
RSVP-TE is setting up Point to Point LSP while SR is building Multi-Point to
point Segments. That’s very different.
e.g. assuming a network with 1000 routers. Let’s assume that you want to
allocate 1% of the network resource for the Prefix Segment to PE1.
On ingress PE (e.g. PE2), you would have indeed reserved a higher pool of
resource for this Segment (1%, while otherwise the resource for PE1 would
statistically be around 1/1000 hence 0.1%)
But on the egress P connecting PE1, reserving %1 of the resource for the
segment to PE1 would be a severe restriction of resource since essentially the
whole interface P-PE1 is dedicated to PE1 hence to the PE1 Prefix Segment.
So what would be the desired goal network wide: increase the resource of this
segment or constraint the resource of this segment?
The problem is essentially the same if you define the resource as a bandwidth
(e.g. 100Mb/s).

I’ll stop with these very preliminary comments as I’d like to see the answers
and an update of the document covering the above points, before digging a bit
more on those resource-aware-segments.

Thanks,
Regards,
--Bruno