Pablo,
Lots of thanks for a prompt and detailed response.

>From my POV the marked text should appear at the beginning of Section 4 of 
>RFC8986 to avoid any misinterpretations by the developers.

I have noticed that Section 8.1 of RFC 
9352<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9352#section-8.1> already 
provides a way to differentiated between "basic" and "protected" behaviors of 
the Sv6 SID with End.X behavior.

IMHO and FWIW RFC 9252 should be augmented with a similar mechanism specifying 
whether a Service SID with specific endpoint behavior is - or is not - eligible 
for fast reroute. This can be done,  e.g., by defining a No Reroute flag in the 
Service SID Flags field of the SRv6 SID Information Sub-TLV.

Regards,, and, again, lots of thanks,
Sasha

From: Pablo Camarillo (pcamaril) <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2026 7:45 PM
To: Alexander Vainshtein <[email protected]>; [email protected]
Cc: BESS <[email protected]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Usage of End.DX2 SID in EVPN-VPWS

Hi Sasha, RFC 8986 specifies the fundamental data-plane pseudocode/primitive 
endpoint behaviors under nominal operation where the SID and outgoing interface 
I are active and valid. Interface Failure and Protection: RFC 8986 
intentionally does not embed protection, fast reroute (FRR), or multi-homing
[Image removed by 
sender.]<https://report.mimecastcybergraph.com/?magiclink=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.services.mimecast.com%2Foauth2%2Fauthorize%3Fresponse_type%3Dcode%26client_id%3Do20nRkVXf7VUVnANkXhoOwGytEwGN0YAlyeDJn7oBTGNl2kN%26state%3DeyJhbGciOiJSU0EtT0FFUC0yNTYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMjU2R0NNIn0.TtrtXLaBH32wl4osMeTldAVPaGzH5nYNwU7vM085vpdswQPc4BSCJR1McBC-LbfjmPkwqbLckAeIp1vpgoYbGHPpWQUz1eQ5PeKf-3fL6Dr3o9twFXqhvzvNHnEleUYohU2G0DkvVLhXVBEKFEMN35VNFuJpRBSX6ow3wByF0w8XBeQKP-xHvXOIuJb_Uq3cIxjPOBPN-7zG_G5Hlgma-tYyuhrIH-GoNL3LVSMATVezR2cp1SVTWAQNYGJb5st4Mantto_yP4oReJY6GFVCL9-dvLFPov4z-2lZB9HnRpdkW_qrP77OHjKum8nxq3VTrtKhDWdTl-96rPv07XRPtQ.bpjQnn52uxDvgI75.usbLGxun6ar_MrFlcEaAOrsTVzK8N9PpUdPIYxSqjl3MBOkRMOZ8ihQ67VPLTJjg8UncMx0a8Xsq1i-sPtw_E5KfK4jtht3fz_DnKV9Y4nUNsU6VaKBWS5_AYYHNM2xyThH3LQcl4gAtJMU_l207wtue1OZofy5CnY0Jr7SgONKQfKcYTdO3VhJ7hsgnXapbGsHCiSrGnpVIm4BhFUZ0CzYLpUANj3iYLrgjljmrwLpziO8JyxNkBTvap3IRygn7MCyPoVj4IzLGfva8xgDs3ouD9T0ibLYpUDkJUE-3UQroAyoxVWupHo5Opv-WHu3wLcjkS1t9wzbvF94IaE6nXLeXelkw-4d2xxtJIzxd234MFp0TZek9BEOw9_sSMcIblWF1q8q-f4sCYKURtEAluEmw_FSad8K3FFJjM6bG4N8L9bgUew1csZdVX5SfkSW-ljNrJRrS_3hD84ytZ9hB2FWSgEDC-nYTALEyr7bxV0-7H4dKHdDfhnU24F4GaZ0fKYHDGhGYQRlZ7A1OIopCytZxyT1pdMGY440_Ae4zpHE6VKBZECBtyReuRv724dUPMS1PQcMDzuI_fq4zjVHLAN7T-sPUnn8AvJnMcpwufys8fDdvHmyzjXeoWU270VbP53LMDC_WZiIcChJAz2w_EOtxlYhubrCa1sD2jNKCoH-itTttq4NVuAVy_wQhDP2d0HlOFTcOxOrhqW0cEejjoDSrBS7_PpXOJWmXu8cy8VX_r7xgNGkUdIDOMJtSJHyB0Nb-P9ytg5Te56pyZo8DD00vXUioo0v2TvFHa1bkBathFodTEm7LsR_Wg9JPXffBU-T44CoviRbtGrE.AlKTlp3s4cmVGVqpZvewnw%26redirect_uri%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Freport.mimecastcybergraph.com%2Fcallback>
CGBANNERINDICATOR

Hi Sasha,

RFC 8986 specifies the fundamental data-plane pseudocode/primitive endpoint 
behaviors under nominal operation where the SID and outgoing interface I are 
active and valid.

Interface Failure and Protection: RFC 8986 intentionally does not embed 
protection, fast reroute (FRR), or multi-homing state machines into the base 
endpoint definition. Instead, interface failure handling and protection 
mechanisms are governed by the relevant service layer and fast-convergence 
specifications (such as EVPN multi-homing in RFC 9252 / BESS SRv6 EVPN and 
TI-LFA / Egress Protection frameworks).

Rerouting / Backup Encapsulation: In an EVPN VPWS or multi-homed 
active-standby/all-active scenario where interface I fails, an implementation 
that supports local egress protection / bypass may pre-program a backup path in 
the FIB. When I goes down, the node can encapsulate the decapsulated Ethernet 
frame into an SRv6 policy toward the backup PE's Service SID (or alternate 
interface) prior to control-plane reconvergence. This is an application of 
standard service-layer protection/FRR on top of the base behavior and is fully 
compliant with the architecture.

Hope this clarifies it. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Pablo.
From: Alexander Vainshtein <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, 15 September 2026 at 03:26
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Cc: BESS <[email protected]>
Subject: [bess] Re: Usage of End.DX2 SID in EVPN-VPWS
Hi all,
A gentle reminder: I have not received feedback from the SPRING WG on my email 
sent 3 months ago,

The question in this email can be re-formulated differently:

Suppose that an SID with endpoint with behavior End. DX2 has been defined and 
associated with the outgoing interface I.
As long as I is operationally UP, packets received with this SID as the 
Destination IPv6 address in the IPv6 header shall be processed as defined in 
the standard, i.e.:
*         IPv6 header and all extension headers will be stripped
*         The resulting Ethernet frame shall be sent "as is: via I
The question:
How will packets received with this SID as the Destination IPv6 address in the 
IPv6 header be processed if I is operationally DOWN?
Can we say that such packets MUST be discarded?


Regards, and lots of thanks in advance,
Sasha

From: Alexander Vainshtein
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2026 7:10 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: BESS <[email protected]>
Subject: Usage of End.DX2 SID in EVPN-VPWS
Importance: High

Hi,
I have a question about usage of End.DX2 SID (as defined in Section 4.9 of RFC 
8986<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8986#section-4.9>in EVPN-VPWS.


*         The definition of this endpoint behavior says that "The End.DX2 SID 
MUST be the last segment in an SR Policy, and it is associated with one 
outgoing interface I"

*         If the upper-layer header type is Ethernet, the IPv6 header and all 
extension headers are stripped, and the resulting Ethernet frame is forwarded 
to the outgoing interface I.

EVPN-VPWS as defined in RFC 8214 is explicitly mentioned as one of possible 
applications in this section,  and Section 6.1.2 of RFC 
9252<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9252#section-6.1.2> explicitly 
mentions End.DX2 as one of possible behaviors of the SID signaled in per-EVI 
Ethernet A-D routes (along with End.X2V and End.DT2U).


I think that End.X2  behavior as defined above is not compatible with one of 
the advantageous features of EVPN-VPWS as described in the last para of Section 
5 of RFC 8214<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8214#section-5>:
<quote>
   Finally, EVPN may employ data-plane egress link protection mechanisms
   not available in VPWS.  This can be done by the primary PE (on local
   AC down) using the label advertised in the per-EVI Ethernet A-D route
   by the backup PE to encapsulate the traffic and direct it to the
   backup PE.
<end quote>

(For the reference, implementing fast egress protection against AC failure  in 
"classic" VPWS has been defined in RFC 8104).

What, if anything, did I miss? Do you think that a new Endpoint behavior should 
be defined?

Regards, and lots of thanks in advance,
Sasha



Disclaimer

This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon 
Communications Inc. and its Affiliates that is confidential and/or proprietary 
for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, disclosure, reliance or 
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly 
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.
_______________________________________________
spring mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to