This is a theoretical question based on a real situation and an odd idea I
had this morning.  Got a single ridge line, wood attic, less than 60’ wide,
no hips.  A perfect application for attic heads.  There are very small
dormers off the main attic.  The ridge of the dormers is only ½ as high as
the main ridge.  The attic heads will easily cover the floor space under the
dormer.  Assuming the roof sheathing is mostly left off the area under the
dormer do I really need heads near the peak of the dormer?  Now if the
sheathing of the main roof runs fully under the dormer to the eave then of
course I need to cover the concealed space of the dormer. 

 

Isn’t the goal of sprinkler installation to cover the floor area with spray
while being conscious of activation time, 8.1.1 (3) of the ’07?  With that
premise the floor is covered as well as if the dormers didn’t exist, check,
got that part covered.  The activation time might be impacted but IMHO not
significantly.  I’m not a master of the computer models to handle this and
don’t have any spare matches to run a test.    

 

Looking at the cut sheets really doesn’t get me too far.  B-6 bottom diagram
is the best picture of what I’m trying to describe.  Detail B-5 and B-6 are
the closest.  B-6 has the note dormer built on top of roof or sheathing
which kind of implies heads are needed.   But from the title of the section
this would apply to situations where the sheathing is complete. 

 

What if the dormer was a bit bigger like when they bump out the plane of the
roof slope adding a 3-4 ridge running perpendicular to the main ridge but
below the main ridge?  Sorry I don’t know all my roof terms.    

 

Chris Cahill, P.E.

Fire Protection Engineer

Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.

 

763-658-4483

763-658-4921 fax

 

Email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 

Mail: P.O. Box 69

        Waverly, MN 55390

 

Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW

              Waverly, MN 55390

 

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to