I would love to hear the feedback to your note

At 06:04 AM 5/23/2007, you wrote:
Good question, what is the intent of attic sprinklers?

I suspect the intent includes protection of
  the roof structure and sheating, since fire rises
  and would quickly involve these combustible
  components of the attic, as well asa the ceiling
  joists.  I think this is why the sprinklers throw water
  onto the underside of the roof components
  as well as attic side of the ceiling-joists.

segue...

I have a complete wood construction building (exterior
siding, trim-counters-and-cabinets in the dining room
and bar, wood paneling in the rooms and corridors on
walls and ceiling, wood beam structure, and the concealed attic space
all are wood.  This hotel is getting sprinklers, but only
in the current addition because the sprinklers qualified as a
tradeoff to allow continuation of all the combustible construction
and trim.

This is fine, I like wood buildings.  But to partially sprinkler
this beautiful hotel (even if it was assigned 13R), is an injustice to
what sprinklers could do to save the structure.  I see an
opportunity for someone to blame sprinklers for not saving
this building should a fire occur.  Heck, this building has
so much wood, it could burn from the outside inwards.

I am adding notes to the sprinkler plans that this design
is not sufficient to provide property protection.  I also am
telling the owner what he is getting for his dollar of
sprinkler installation, and what he is not getting.


Scot Deal
Excelsior Fire


On 5/22/07, Chris Cahill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is a theoretical question based on a real situation and an odd idea I
had this morning.  Got a single ridge line, wood attic, less than 60'
wide,
no hips.  A perfect application for attic heads.
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, Connecticut
860-535-2080
www.fpdc.com
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to