-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fox Duane T.
(FireMarshal)
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:36 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Table 8.6.2.2.1(a)

I have a project where the sprinkler vendor has covered an attic space
using 130 sqft spacing.  The attic is wood trusses on 24" centers with a
6/12 pitch.  I think his installation should be based on the unoccupied
attics having combustible wood truss construction with members less than
3 ft on center with a slope greater than 4/12 needing 120 sqft spacing.
The vendor thinks he can use the combustible obstructed construction
with members less than 3 ft on center which allows 130 sqft spacing.

Delaware has adopted the 2002 edition of 13 which has specific
dimensions and start pressures for the 120 sqft spacing, which looks to
have accounted for the trigonometry that would be needed for sloped
ceilings/roofs to get a correct distance between branch lines.

My question: What would drive an installer to use the 120 sqft spacing
when the attic seems to meet the 130 sqft spacing criteria?

As I stated above my interpretation is that the slope makes the
difference.  The 130 sqft spacing criteria is for "flat" ceilings/roofs.

Thanks

Duane Fox, Jr.
DE State Fire Marshal's Office