NFPA 16 is 5,000 sq ft or 465m2 as you've stated.  Since the room is 500 m2 I 
would add the 3-4 extra heads and calc the whole room.

Is this solvent based paint?  Many of the new paints are water based.

Make sure to check the commodity you're protecting to determine which foam is 
appropriate, AFFF or AR-AFFF, also you need to know whether you need air 
aspirating heads or standard sprinklers.  I would also suggest specifying a 
Low-Flow proportioner if this is a closed head system.

These are the main areas which are most often specified incorrectly.


Craig L. Prahl, CET   
Fire Protection Specialist
Mechanical Department
CH2MHILL
Lockwood Greene
1500 International Drive
PO Box 491, Spartanburg, SC  29304-0491
Direct - 864.599.4102
Fax - 864.599.8439
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ch2m.com 


-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of sam b
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:19 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Foam sprinkler design area

Dear Friends..

Need some help regarding foam sprinkler systems.


I need to design foam sprinkler system for a paintroom,which is a part of  a 
large warehouse.
I have considered water sprinklers for the rest of the warehouse and need 
foamsprrinklers for the paintroom area.
The problem I face is that.
for doing hydraulic calculations for foam sprinklered area,
1) how much area I have to consider?
>From NFPA 16 its written total design area shall be 465 m2.
for me it seems littl big as my entire room is only 500 m2.
IS this the area to be considered???or am i missing something????

why such a big difference in area between watersprinkler(139m2) and foam 
sprinkler system.(465m2)?

Regards & Wishes

Sam B
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to