Tom,
I would think that to pipe from drain or pump tests (especially
through a flow meter) into a grey water tank would not be a problem
(beware of cross connection issues, however). I haven't done it yet,
but as you say, it is coming. Insp Test connection discharge may be a
problem due to stagnant water. Also, the physical limitations of
containing water discharge from a pump test from a header or a
standpipe test may be difficult.
Also, I believe Tyco makes a system for retaining water from a zone
valve test. I saw some literature at a trade show at one point. That
could help.
Now what about using roof run-off to keep a suction tank full?
At 07:04 PM 12/3/2008, you wrote:
I wonder if anyone here has ever come across a client who wants to "green"
their systems.
My situation..
I have a new client with a brand new "green" building, 18 floors plus 6
levels of parking for quarterly and annual testing.
In one of our meetings they were battling with the contractor who installed
their grey water system because it's not working right.
They asked me why their sprinkler system wasn't as "green" as their plumbing
or hvac, etc. Hmmmmm...
I told them of the thousands of gallons of water we waste every year between
the fire pump and sprinkler system testing.
Just wait until we have to do the standpipes again! How about piping that
to the grey water tanks?, I asked.
They replied, and justly, about how murky and dirty all that water would be
and what would they have to do to clean it.
Would that make it not worth while? Sprinkler water still isn't metered
here but I'm sure that will change some day.
They grey water systems use roof drainage to flush urinals and water closets
in the public restrooms.
Has anyone ever here done this? Did they install any type of treatment?
I know when I test the pump it's clean, right out of the DI main but that
sprinkler water that's been sitting for three months....
Anyone care to share experiences?
Thanks
Tom Duross
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
Todd G. Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, Connecticut
www.fpdc.com
860.535.2080
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum
For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)