Obviously Wisconsin is it's own little island relative to fire codes
but at the level of the bigger picture in IBC states (presuming no
diminished standards during the adoption process) we're covered for
three units and above. As to the new IRC most of us have been focusing
on the SFD and duplex paragraph, at least in my circle of friends
(limited for sure). The townhouses have been kind of the sleepers but
in the Washington fight to ensure adoption of the full IRC next year a
point just came up. Unit separation walls have been reduced in
townhomes from two-hour to one-hour. This is a straight-up statement
not couched in some term like you can reduce IF you provide
sprinklers. It is simply a proviso--one-hour separation walls--because
there is no choice as to sprinklering or not. The presumption is there
SHALL be sprinklers so there SHALL be that added exposure protection
so passive protection has been reduced. One of those
trade-offs/trade-ups if you will. If the anti-sprinkler lobby in any
state manages to have the sprinkler requirement removed for townhomes
without having the separation proviso also addressed we end up with
"modern, fire-proof homes," with no sprinklers, no lot separation and
no firewall. So now sprinklers are no longer just the owner's choice
with the following question--Do I want a system that will help save my
life and the lives of my family or do I want a fancy countertop or
carpet? but rather--Do I have the right to endanger my neighbor's life
by not providing proper exposure protection? I think if a state
manages to let this go through the first next door crispy critter's
survivors ought to be suing their state building code council, the
state legislature that allowed the code change,the NAHB, BIA and it's
local chapters and anybody else that said it costs too much.

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 4:20 AM, John Drucker <john.druc...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Wisconsin High Court Douses Builders' Sprinkler Suit
>
> SEAN RYAN
> The Daily Reporter (Milwaukee, WI) 05-01-2009
>

> In the aftermath of its failed lawsuit, the Wisconsin Builders Association
> is debating whether to keep fighting state rules requiring fire sprinklers
> in apartment buildings.
> The Wisconsin Supreme Court rejected a WBA appeal in a lawsuit challenging
> Wisconsin Department of Commerce rules requiring sprinklers in residential
> buildings with more than three units. The state since March 2008 has
> required sprinklers in buildings with more than eight units, but smaller
> projects with eight or fewer apartments or condos will be hit hardest, said
> Brad Boycks, WBA director of government and political affairs.
> The rules will not affect buildings with fewer than eight units until 2011.
> "Those smaller units were really the ones that we wanted (to exempt),"
> Boycks said. "When you require four-plexes and eight-plexes to be
> sprinklered, especially in rural communities and small communities, you are
> going to make a big difference in the price. "
> The association estimated in late 2006 requiring sprinklers in a three- or
> four-unit building could add between $14,000 and $50,000 to the cost of the
> building.
> But fire-prevention associations argue the increase is tempered by savings
> in other parts of the building, said Dan Gengler, north central regional
> manager of the National Fire Sprinkler Association. Sprinklers reduce the
> expense caused by fires, he said, such as environmental damage from smoke
> and the cost of constructing new buildings.
> "If a building burns to the point where it can't be occupied," he said, "it
> gets torn down. "
> Cost questions aside, it's worth the price to protect building residents and
> firefighters, said Gengler, a retired department chief of the Milwaukee Fire
> Department. He offered, as an example, a fire that hit a four-unit building
> at the corner of 44th Street and North Avenue in Milwaukee on Dec. 24, 1994.
> The building did not have sprinklers, and firefighter Lionel Hoffer died
> when he got trapped in the building basement after the first and second
> floors collapsed.
> "It's not as simple as, 'Hey, it costs too much,'" Gengler said. "It's not
> that simple. I understand that argument and respect that argument, but if
> somebody had a cure for cancer, would you pay?"
> The WBA's leadership will meet Thursday to consider its next move, which
> might be to ask the state Legislature to reverse Commerce's rules, said WBA
> President Douglas Scott, president of Amwood Homes Inc. and Advantage Homes
> Inc., both based in Janesville. Any lobbying attempt would face opposition
> from the governor's office and fire-prevention associations, he said.
> But the WBA lawsuit was about more than just sprinkler rules, Scott said.
> [...]

Ron Greenman
at home....