I want to apologize for the problems with sprinklerFORUM service since  
last Friday. While I know this was frustrating for many of you, I  
assure you that it was even more frustrating for us. Distribution for  
all AFSA listservs is handled through our internal email server. Last  
Friday, our email server suffered a major failure. Although it was  
inconvenient to use, our backup email system kept us accessible.  
Unfortunately the backup email system cannot handle listservs so the  
SprinklerFORUM and other lists became unusable. The entire system was  
reinstalled and then we learned that some files were corrupted and the  
hard disk had to be reformatted, and the entire system reinstalled  
AGAIN.  After the new  installation, the email list preferences had to  
be rebuilt and reconfigured. Some digest information could not be  
rebuilt correctly so people who had signed up to receive the digest  
ended up on the list to receive each email.

The good news is that our backup email system worked well - no  
messages were lost  - and our file backup system did what it was  
supposed to do. The bad news was that it took a lot of work and a lot  
of time to get everything back in working order. In a situation like  
this we must deal with priorities, and as much as we all love the  
SprinklerFORUM, our listservs have a lower priority than some other  
services. For that reason, the email lists were the last to be fixed.

We believe everything is working normally now, but if you experience a  
specific problem please let us know. To report problems, send an email  
to:

                        [email protected]

The sprinklerFORUM is a very popular and important service and we want  
to reduce downtime to a minimum. While we have had a computer burp  or  
two in the many years the sprinklerFORUM has been online, this has  
been the most serious and frustrating disruption. We will do our best  
to keep this from happening again..... but we are dealing with  
computers and sometimes they have a mind of their own.  I swear I  
heard our server say at one point "I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't let  
you do that...." (for those  who don't understand that comment, get  
"2001: A Space Odyssey" on DVD.)



Steve A. Muncy
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org





_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to