Back when I first got in the business this issue came up.  Not too far from
you is a little 'ol institution of higher learning known as the University
of Minnesota.  I spoke with 2 PhD Professors and our own City SE.  All were
in agreement.  The caveat is a truss with similar top chord and bottom chord
construction.  The truss does not care where you hang from.  The load are
transferred the same within the truss.  That's the point of the truss.  With
that information while AHJ for the City I didn't care provided the chords
were the same. And most of what we see is same top and bottom chords.  As a
contractor now it doesn't come up too often where there is even the
opportunity to hang from the bottom so we just go along to get along and
everything is top chord.   

I did ask why some SE's and AHJ had issues hanging from the bottom.  Lazy
and/or ignorant was what I got back.  You know how some PhD's can be, lol.

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 
Email: [email protected]
 
Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390
 
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Hinson, Ryan
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:54 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: Hanging. bracing, or restraining from the bottom chord of a trussor
joist

I have always been instructed to hang, trapeze, or brace to the top chord of
trusses, joists, and other structural members.  I believe it is good
practice to do so since the top chord is restrained via the attached roof
from lateral movement whereas the bottom chord is not except where cross
bracing is attached.  That being said, is there any specific code reference
that mandates this; or is it strictly up to the structural engineer to
determine whether the bottom chord can handle the possible generated loads?

Ryan L. Hinson, EIT, NICET III
Fire Protection Systems Designer, Aviation and Facilities Group
Minneapolis-St. Paul Office
Burns & McDonnell
8201 Norman Center Drive, Suite 300
Bloomington, MN 55437
Direct: 952-656-6003 Ext 3662
Fax: 952-229-2923
www.burnsmcd.com<BLOCKED::www.burnsmcd.com>


Proud to be one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies To Work For

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to