From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Reed
Roisum
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 8:19 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Steam for Fire Suppression

I don't have much information on this yet but here goes anyway...

An owner of a manufacturing facility (I don't know what type of
manufacturing) has in his head that he wants to use steam from his
boiler for fire suppression (also don't know what he wants to protect).
I am basically looking for any information on using steam for fire
suppression.  I have no experience with this and haven't heard of it
beyond steam smothering systems for kitchen exhaust ducts??  Is that
still used?

I am somewhat familiar with water mist systems but this sounds like a
different animal because we would be "delivering" steam to a fire not
forming steam when water droplets turn to steam at the fire.  Doesn't
seem practical or even possible to me.  Sorry for the lack of
information but that is all I have to share.

Thank you for any info. you have.

Reed A. Roisum, CET
Engineering Technician

Ulteig Engineers, Inc.
Building Services - Fire Protection Engineering

3350 38th Ave. S. * Fargo, ND 58104

Direct: (701)280-8580 | Cell: (701)212-8810

www.ulteig.com

Energy * Water * Built-Environment