"If DOE doesn't even", that's funny because the rest of the alphabet soup of
gov't entities seem to require.  I guess that's the difference of DOE
actually thinking a problem through vs. the other automatons? 

I think we are in agreement using a device to create a hole in poured
concrete is a good idea from a construction cost aspect. I hesitate to call
it a sleeve as we are talking about form work more so than a traditional
sleeve.  Pull the form (sleeve) after the concrete cure and all should be
good.  

I think there is another area of agreement in bearing walls, usually of
block construction, on a case by case basis. There are cases where the
sleeve is for structural reasons.  Although I am suspect of a 2" hole for an
1.5" pipe passing is a detriment to a block wall.  I'm also suspect as the
sleeve provides nothing structurally unless the O.D. matches the hole in the
wall exactly or the grout is of a proper specification and depth to match
the missing materials.  If it was that important to structural stability I'd
imagine core testing of the grout which I don't see. Best I can tell I can't
find common drill bits that match the O.D. of any pipe.  I imagine for the
right price I can get one in any size.  But I'm not a SE and didn't stay at
a Holiday Inn last night.  

I haven't heard in all other walls any substantial reason.  The fire rating
isn't a reason for generic all walls sleeved spec.  Perhaps 20 years ago
this was the common rating solution but I seriously doubt sleeves today are
the only way to fire stop a wall.

EQ issues I'll leave alone as I can't spell ground move all on it's own.    

The craftsmanship of some contractors is an excuse not a reason IMHO, some
may disagree.

In the end there might be a case or two legitimate reasons but the all
always from your average A&E is a little suspect.          

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.
 
763-658-4483
763-658-4921 fax
 
Email: [email protected]
 
Mail: P.O. Box 69
        Waverly, MN 55390
 
Location: 4439 Hwy 12 SW
              Waverly, MN 55390
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Law, Kevin W
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:51 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Sleeve

On our project here we are not requiring sleeves in gyp-board walls for pipe
passing through, even on rated walls.  Only that the annular space be sealed
using an approved/listed rated penetration seal to maintain the integrity of
the wall.  If DOE doesn't even require it I don't know whay anyone else
would.


Kevin Law, PE
Bechtel National, Inc.
Waste Treatment Project
Fire Protection Engineering
Work  (509) 371-3280
Cell    (509) 531-5715


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:27 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Sleeve

For non-concrete walls the solid surface is between the sleeve and the pipe.
The sleeve seals the gap between wall material between the studs.  Is there
a need for a sleeve in a frangible wall, depends on conditions, is the wall
rated, are there other issues?  Is one needed, ask the architect or person
specifying the sleeve for the reason if it's a major issue or concern.
Hopefully they're not just putting in the requirement for the fun of it.

Craig L. Prahl, CET   
Fire Protection Specialist
Mechanical Department
CH2MHILL
Lockwood Greene
1500 International Drive
Spartanburg, SCĀ  29304-0491
Direct - 864.599.4102
Fax - 864.599.8439
[email protected]
http://www.ch2m.com 


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mark Sornsin
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Sleeve

John, that didn't really answer my question; but it is a good point. To
that: the sleeve will support the masonry construction so that it doesn't
end up bearing on the pipe in the event of shifting or settling. Certainly
in seismic areas this would be even more important. I can grasp that
concept.

So let's talk about horizontal penetrations in non-masonry, non concrete
walls.  What forms the 'solid interior surface' between the wall and the
sleeve? Why can't this be done without out a sleeve? Or is there even a need
for horizontal sleeves in non-masonry/concrete construction?

Mark A. Sornsin, PE | Fire Protection Engineer Ulteig Engineers, Inc.
|Fargo, ND
Direct:    701. 280.8591 | www.ulteig.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of John Drucker
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:45 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Sleeve

Mark,

You are correct, in masonry construction the sleeve is used in the same
fashion as a lintel, to provide support to the construction.

John Drucker, CET
Fire Protection Subcode Official
Fire/Building/Electrical Inspector
Fire Marshals Office
Borough of Red Bank, NJ



-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mark Sornsin
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Sleeve

(o.k. I know I'm going to regret asking this - but I have no shame)

What provides the solid interior surface when a sleeve penetrates a block or
stud wall?
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to