We have been having problems with a Cla-Val 581 check valve.  The valve is 
installed in the FDC line. The valve originally installed leaked, it had a 
metal to metal seat. The 1 st replacement leaked, it also had a metal to metal 
seat.  The 2nd replacement leaked, metal to metal seat.  The 3rd replacement 
leaked, metal to metal seat. I called Cla-Val several times with out a return 
phone call. I wanted to know if the valve needed a rubber to metal seat.  When 
I did get a phone call, it was not from Cal-Val, but a dealer who did not know 
there were valves with metal to metal seats and with metal to rubber seats.  
That person had to call Cal-Val and ask.  The return phone call told me the 
seat was supposed to be metal to metal.  Last week, I took the original valve 
and the first replacement to my supplier.  The supplier phoned Cla-Val and 
Cla-Val sent a metal seat to rubber seat to my shop.  We installed the 4th 
valve yesterday.  Leaked.  We took the valve seat out and found
  a narrow o'ring as the seal.  

The valves all had an arrow, the arrow was installed to the direction of flow. 
The 3rd and 4th valves were installed by bolting the valve to the tee first and 
the water was turned on.  The valves immediately leaked. I was in attendance 
when the 4th valve was installed. The gaskets were in good condition, and had 
the bolt holes in the gaskets.  

Other fire check valves I have installed or seen were rubber to metal seats.  
Plumbing check valves I have seen were metal to metal seats. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to