I agree, in the absence of specific information, I would take the horizontal
distance, the more conservative measurement. So a std. temp head can't be
above a light fixture within 6" (horiz) of its edges. This is mostly
encountered in washrooms with sidewalls located above the vanity. I have
seen two cases where the heads in bathrooms have been set off due to the
heat from light fixtures. One of them, I was not involved. The owner
increased the wattage of the light, then put his unit up for sale. The real
estate person turned on all the lights for a showing, then forgot to turn
off the light in the bathroom. A std. temp sidewall head was about 5"
horizontal from the 350 W light fixture (Guessing. Can't remember the exact
numbers). I know, the diagonal distance was more than 12 inches. The head
went off resulting in water damage. It happened in a top floor unit of a 4
storey condominium. So the water also damaged the units below it. The condo
board sued the EOR (incidentally a rubber stamper) for $120,000. The EOR
settled (don't know for how much) and sued third party the sprinkler
contractor and designer, who settled for $24,000. I was involved in the
second case. Lights were not installed when I inspected the sprinkler
system. The builder wanted a compliance letter to obtain an occupancy
permit. Lights were being installed by the individual tenants after each
unit was sold. So my compliance letter was for the shell building, before
the lights were installed. In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed as it
is only about 7 months since the incident.

This same table is given in 13 for residential areas, and I follow it even
for non-residential areas using non-residential sprinklers, in the absence
of specific guidelines. A question I have is for heads beside hot air
diffusers. 13, 2007 table 8.3.2.5(c) gives minimum distance to std. temp.
heads as 24", whereas table 8.3.2.5(a) gives 12" for downward discharge. Why
two measurements? When the diffuser is on the ceiling, I would take it as
"downward discharge" even though a diffuser is designed to flow outwards. Is
that correct?

Tony