You might be better off putting residential heads in every pocket and using the 4 head calc. By the way I'm pretty sure Globe makes a residential head listed for 12" deflectorm not that it will help in this case.
Ron Fletcher Aero Automatic Phoenix, AZ -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of IPA Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:21 AM To: [email protected] Subject: Residential (#13) with Concrete Tees Hello, I've got an existing project (per nfpa #13 residential) where part of the living suite consists of exposed concrete tees. All of the sprinklers in those compartments (mainly the living/kitchen area and adjacent office) have to be quick response instead of residential since residential sprinks are only good for 4" below ceiling (unless otherwise listed) and we're talking 23" concrete tees here. That being said it looks like there is absolutely no way to go with a four head calc since that only applies to residential *sprinklers* and not residential *areas* using QR heads. I wanted to get confirmation from the forum that my thinking is correct on this since the 1,000 sq. ft. calc I'm having to do is going to require some major mods to the existing system and I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something which could save this thing. When it comes down to it- what's killing the 1,000 sq. ft. calcs are the presence of new soffits which surround the perimeter of the room and require sprinkler coverage underneath. My guess is section 22.4.4.6.5 allowing the sprinkler demand to be omitted for sprinklers under obstructions "such as ducts and cutting tables" does not apply to soffits. Why couldn't they have just ended the sentence after the word "obstructions" :-) Thanks all, _______________________________________________ Sprinklerforum mailing list [email protected] http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field) _______________________________________________ Sprinklerforum mailing list [email protected] http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum For Technical Assistance, send an email to: [email protected] To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[email protected] (Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)
