I haven’t done a lot of work in earthquake areas.  NFPA 13 9.3.4.2 Unless the 
requirements of 9.3.4.3 through 9.3.4.7 are met, where pipe passes through 
holes in platforms, foundations, walls, or floors, the holes shall be sized 
such that the diameter of the holes is nominally 2 in. (50 mm) larger than the 
pipe for pipe 1 in. (25 mm) nominal to 3 1⁄2 in. (90 mm)nominal and 4 in. (100 
mm) larger than the pipe for pipe 4 in.(100 mm) nominal and larger.

How does one do a sidewall sprinkler head through a concrete wall (stair, 
elevator, etc.) and have an escutcheon on the head side?   Nominal pipe is 1”, 
3” hole, 2-7/8” escutcheon.  It’s gets worse if sleeves are required.  Now I 
see Tyco and Reliable have deep escutcheons that are 3.5” which is fine if you 
don’t have a sleeve and are willing to have deep escutcheons.   I see Argco 
might have some solutions but I find it odd one would have to go there for what 
should be a rather common problem.  And if you are trying to use a recessed 
heads might be a listing issue?

Tell me I’m missing something obvious please.

Chris Cahill, PE*
Senior Fire Protection Engineer
Aviation & Facilities Group
Burns & McDonnell
P:  952.656.3652
F:  952.229.2923
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
www.burnsmcd.com<http://www.burnsmcd.com/>
*Lic. in MN


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/private/sprinklerforum/attachments/20120105/b41cfd05/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to