Brad,
In NZ our Sprinkler Rules were based on FOC (UK) rules and from the 1970's
our NZS4541 has been modifications to those rules. Hence we used mainly
conventional deflectors(old style) in most situations, up until the
publication of NZS4541:2007. At this time we radically changed the Extra
High Hazard section of our rules to become close to NFPA/FM. The base
document we used at the time was an draft Australian Standard which was
going through the same changes. Our source of Sprinklers etc was becoming
mainly US based so we were influenced by testing and changes taking place
there, especially in regard to rack storage protection.

Back to RTI's. In the NZS4541;2003 we mandated the use of Special
Response(RTI 80) Conventional sprinklers for the use in IRS. Ceiling
protection would be 20mm 68 or 93degC conventional sprinklers (although we
could use spray sprinklers if no exposed steelwork). The In rack sprinklers
would be 15mm 68deg conventional sprinklers. I think this type of IRS was
used by FOC and VDS rules at this time.

With the change to the High Hazard section in 2007 the protection of racks
changed to spray type sprinklers as in NFPA or FM with 141degC sprinkler at
roof for K80 and k115. If roof sprinklers are larger k160 - k360 then can
use 68degC

Also about this time Fire Engineers were trying to use tested RTI instead of
generic group RTI in their calculations. The local SFPE published a notice
which suggested that the use of the following RTI be used;
Fast Response 3mm bulb=50; Intermediate(special) Response 4mm bulb=80;
Standard Response 5mm bulb=135; Standard Response 8mm bulb=250. TYCO have
4mm bulb sprinklers but I think they only have Conventional deflectors.

Our Standard requires Listing by our Sprinkler System Certifier(SSC) of all
major components and is usually based on UL, FM, or LPC acceptances.

Trust this is of interest

Regards,
Russell

Russell Gregory