From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Cliff
Whitfield
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:21 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Remote Area Question

Forumites,

I have a question regarding a remote area on a 'skinny' building and since
we can't include a 'snapshot' I will do my best to describe the situation in
question.

Picture a 80' x 400' building with a 1/12 slope and the peak at the center
of the building (40').  This is a dry system on a loading dock for a
trucking company.  I have a main on both sides of the building (but not
connected in a loop) with lines running up the slope so everything will
drain properly, thus my lines are approx 40' each and do not connect in the
middle (not a grid - it's dry).  My remote area is to be 1.2 x the sq root
of 1950 (just using this as an example) so I will need at least 53' of
branch line.

Since my branch lines are only 40' wide, obviously I have to cross the peak
to pick up the proper number of heads for a line.  Herein lies the problem.
I don't believe this is clearly spelled out in NFPA 13 (if it is, please
forgive me but also tell me where it is!).  Do you cross the peak and pick
up heads on lines that are connected to the opposite main or do you stop at
the peak, widen the remote area to include more branch lines and make all of
the heads flow thru the single main back to the riser?

This can arise in a similar fashion in an office building, especially if you
are looping the system on the floor.

The question I have is - which solution is required/correct in accordance
with the way NFPA 13 is written.

Thanks,

Cliff Whitfield, SET
President