Tom, I guess once we equate what goes out of the tachometer with what goes into the thermometer, the speed does not change-- the magic of the second law of thermodynamics! (or, as you put it-- 'Pump affinity').

Quoting Tom Duross <tduro...@comcast.net>:

Brad, we measure rpm as a means of adjusting pressures to rated speed. These pumps are magic and speed is not supposed to change. Pump affinity. Also, when you have more than one pipe size difference between discharge and suction, you should adjust for velocity pressure (or read discharge after the increaser).